MERCED, CA – A fire erupted inside a debris container located near the Marriott in Merced on Motel Drive at approximately 9:10 p.m. this evening and fire fighters were able to quickly knock it down. It is not know at this time how the fire occurred and no other structures were damaged or injuries reported.
UPDATE: A woman wearing a red purse or back pack asked another woman that was outside the Comfort Inn Hotel for a cigarette. The woman outside the hotel told her no that she did not have cigarettes. Then the woman who asked and is believed to be homeless, started walking towards the container behind Courtyard Marriott and then they heard a loud boom sound and saw the fire.
We have a reporter on scene trying to get more information and this story will be updated